COSPPac: Climate and Oceans Support Program in the Pacific
In 2016, Fiji-based Pacific Science Solutions was engaged by Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) to undertake the management of their Climate and Ocean Support Program in the Pacific (COSPPac).
We were chosen for the task due to our expertise in science management, Pacific climatology and strong relationships with Pacific stakeholders, as well as the fact we were able to provide stability and continuity on the project since our Managing Director Janita Pahalad, who worked for the Bureau of Meteorology for 15 years prior to co-founding PacSciSol, has been involved in COSPPac and its previous incarnations since its inception in 2004.
COSPPac is Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s (DFAT) contribution to climatology and oceanography in the Pacific and, as we are based in Suva, we are, on BoM’s behalf, able to liaise directly with various Pacific bodies such as Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC), Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP) and the Pacific Centre for Environment and Sustainable Development at the University of the South Pacific, as well as Australian partners such as Geoscience Australia and other Lands and Survey departments.
Amongst our responsibilities on COSPPac are:
- Lead and manage program delivery and implementation, including management of COSPPac staff.
- Oversight and assist with the delivery of COSPPac products and services to regional organisations.
- Lead drafting of the Progress Report, Traffic Light Report and other project relevant documents.
- Work closely with the Bureau, SPC, SPREP, GA (and USP as required) on documentation and meeting preparations.
- Lead the planning and organising of COSPPac Planning and Steering Committee meetings with the Bureau, SPC and DFAT.
For more information on COSPPac, please contact us here